I have been out of work since September. I have a Master's Degree.
I look around at the tall, thin, blonde, Hummer-driving, relaxed-shouldered, well-eating, Nordstrom's buying, savings-having, medical insurance provided people in my town, and wonder:
Are they all related to Orthodontists? Lawyers? CEO's?
And truly, I don't care.
I just want my own life back.
I look around at the short, heavy, darker, old-car driving, tense-shouldered, not-well-eating, Dollar-Store-buying, no-savings-having, no-medical-insurance-provided people in my town, and wonder: Have none of them had the opportunity to finish school? Have none of them had lunch? Have none of them any realistic hope?
What is to become of a country where a handful of people have taken every opportunity, and sewn it up for all of their own generations to come -- the same country where it was common knowledge that any man or woman with initiative, hope, and hard work could create a good life for themselves and their own generations to come?
Here's a question, readers:
Do the rich not understand that unless those less fortunate are able to make a decent, safe, secure life for themselves, then no one will be there to clean their houses, teach their children, cook their food, sew their clothes, build their golf clubs? What could it possibly matter to the rich if the poor became middle class?
It seems to me that we, all of us who are not rich, have become expendable.
Or is that just hunger and despair talking?
Saturday, April 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment